I have recently spotted on Pinterest the gorgeous & fun bobble crochet stitch and decided I would try this stitch with my newly bought colorful yarn.
Don’t panic! This is really easy to do even for a crochet beginner, so give it a try, you won’t regret it 🙂
The bobble stitch is used for many crochet creations:
- baby blankets
- face scrubs
I thought it would make a nice colorful basket too. So here is my DIY bobble stitch basket pattern in pdf format.
- chunky yarn in two colors – For this basket, I have used the gossyp chunky yarn from KPC which is a 100% organic cotton for 6.5mm hook in colors Scuba and Rossi Yellow.
- crochet hook 6mm – I would recommend investing in a set of hooks such as this one from Amazon as it is always cheaper than buying your hooks one by one!
You may want to take a look at my post about where to find yarn in Hong Kong.
1. Make a circle bottom for your basket
- 1st round: 12 double crochets
- 2nd round: double every stitch = 24 double crochets
- 3rd round: double every second stitch = 36 double crochets
- 4th round: double every third stitch = 48 double crochets
- 5th round: double every fourth stitch = 60 double crochets
2. Make 3 rows of bobble stitch
- yo = yarn over
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- ch = chain
- 5 dc tog = 5 double crochet together = bobble stitch
This bobble stitch is really easy to do, it is just based on a two row basic pattern.
The only thing that you have to learn is how to make a 5 dc tog which means 5 double crochets together.
Here is how to dot this particular stitch:
- You start with already one loop on your hook. Yo, insert hook in the next stitch in row, yo, draw yarn through these two loops only (you have 2 loops on the hook)
- Yo, insert hook in same stitch, yo, draw yarn through these two loops only (you have 3 loops on the hook)
- Yo, insert hook in same stitch yo, draw yarn through these two loops only (you have 4 loops on the hook)
- Yo, insert hook in same stitch yo, draw yarn through these two loops only (you have 5 loops on the hook)
- Yo, insert hook in same stitch yo, draw yarn through these two loops only (you have 6 loops on the hook)
- Yo, draw yarn through all 6 loops on hook, tighten and secure by one sc in the next stitch (between each bobble)
Round 1 (foundation row)
This one is only needed if you start a project at this step. For our basket you can skip this round and go directly to round 2.
Chain an odd number to your desired length and make one more chain.Then, sc in the second chain from the hook and in each chain.
For our basket, we will use the bottom circle last round as our foundation row.
Ch 3 (this will count as one stitch of your 5 dc tog), finish the first 5 dc tog in the first stitch.
*Sc in the next stitch.
Dc 5 tog in the next stitch.
Repeat from* until you reach the end of the row. You should end on a bobble stitch.
Ch 1 and sc in each stitch.
Repeat rounds 2 & 3 with a different color and offsetting by one stitch to get your bobbles staggered.
Repeat rounds 2 & 3 with the first color one more time to form the sides of our basket.
You can make it higher by continuing the bobble stitch rows.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY.
Please share your creations below, I would delighted to see them.
Happy crocheting everyone!